- Agenda Strategy. Basis for the Agenda’s development
- Agenda Consensus. Common principles and objectives partners commit to
- Agenda Key Message
- Background and current status
Discover the Agenda in 2.5 minutes
The Agenda is a partnership of livestock sector stakeholders committed to the sustainable development of the sector.
With a global population projected to reach 9.6 billion in 2050, the livestock sector’s role in providing high value food will continue to increase.
To be sustainable, livestock sector growth needs to support the livelihoods of an estimated 1 billion people who depend on livestock, contribute to enhancing economic and social well-being, and sustain the planet’s natural resources.
The purpose of the Agenda is to catalyze the continuous improvement of the sector’s natural resource use to ensure the sector’s contribution to sustainability in food and agriculture.
The partnership unites the forces of the public and private sectors, producers, research and academic institutions, NGOS, and social movements and community-based organizations.
The partnership focuses on three priority areas where improving practices will bring large environmental, economic, social benefits:
- Production efficiency
- Grassland management
- Manure management
The partnership enhances the shared understanding of sustainability and the underlying development issues and builds consensus on the path towards sustainable food security through dialogue, consultation, and joint analyses.
Consensus forms the basis for stakeholder commitment to innovation and on-the-ground investment in livestock sector practice change.
- Animal Health & Greenhouse Gas Emissions Intensity Network Workshop
25 March 2014
Dublin, Ireland, UK
- Livestock and Manure Management Component Start-up Meeting
23-24 January 2013 - Rome, Italy (FAO Headquarters)
- Global Forum for Food and Agriculture
16-18 January 2014 - Berlin, Germany
Sustainable Livestock: What are the options?
- 4th Global multi-stakeholder platform meeting
15-17 October 2013 - Ottawa, Canada
- Civil Society Dialogue
27-29 September 2013 - Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
- Closing the efficiency gap Meeting
19-20 September, 2013 - Rome, Italy
- The Agenda Guiding Group meeting
18 June, 2013 - Rome, Italy
- Multi-Stakeholder Action for Sustainable Livestock
17 June, 2013 - Rome, Italy